Creamy spinach chicken recipe
Perfect for a midweek dinner; cook your chicken breasts until tender in a thick, creamy sauce. Adding fresh baby spinach and zingy lemon juice will help you cut through the richness, not-to-mention it’s the ideal way to up the flavour! This healthy option is sure to please the whole family.
- 100g drained sundried tomatoes, sliced lengthways, plus 1 tbsp oil from the jar for frying
- 2 x 300g packs chicken breast fillets
- 5 tsp cornflour
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ chicken stock cube, made up to 100ml
- 250g pack baby spinach
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 150ml single cream
- Put the sundried tomatoes in a small, heatproof bowl and cover with 200ml boiling water; set aside.
- Lay the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling wrap and use a rolling pin to gently bash the thickest parts to flatten them a little, so the breasts are an even thickness. Season with salt and lightly coat with 4 tsp cornflour. Heat the sundried tomato oil in a large, deep, lidded frying pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the chicken breasts, without turning, for 4-6 mins each side until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the onion and garlic and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened; add a splash of water if it starts to catch. Add the stock and sundried tomatoes; simmer for 1 min. Add the spinach, cover and cook for 2 mins, then remove the lid and stir well.
- Mix 1 tsp cornflour with 2 tbsp water in a small bowl. Stir the cornflour mixture, lemon juice and cream into the pan and simmer for 2 mins until thickened. Return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook for 2-3 mins more until the chicken is warmed through, then serve.
See more Chicken recipes / midweek dinner ideas.
Recipe from: Tesco Real Food